Friday, June 13, 2008
1515 wows again
My parents are here for a visit. Last night we wanted to take them out to a special Thank You dinner (we finally finished repaying a loan to them). We took them to 1515 (at 15th & Market, in Denver) and had the Chef's Choice menu (5-courses) with wine pairing.
I was enjoying the food so much, that I only took a few pictures. Of course, now I wish I had photographed every bit! At any rate, our meal went something like this:
Starter: dandelion salad with a goat-cheese "crouton" (which was basically a cheese curd/fried cheese croquette, made with EXCELLENT goat cheese). This was paired with a white wine -- unfortunately, I cannot remember the name.
Course #2: thin-sliced salmon, cooked in a suvee (I have no idea how to spell that, but basically they vacuum-seal the food in a bag, and cook it in a water bath at a specifically controlled temperature). The salmon was served with a basil-seed garnish, as well as some greens, and paired with a blended white wine -- the wine had grapes from 5 different types of white varietals.
Course #3: seared monkfish and mussels with green curry. The curry was phenomenal. This was served with a fantastic Chilean Malbec.
Course #4: kobe beef carpaccio -- this was my favorite course. It was topped with shitake mushrooms, nori slices, crisped onions, and had a garnish of wasabi-mayonaise. Normally, I don't enjoy wasabi (or mayo), but I really liked this combination. This was served with a Cabernet.
Course #5: buffalo (shown above) with a wine-reduction sauce, served with artichoke hearts and riccotta-cheese gnocchi. This course was paired with a Pinot Noir; it was fabulous!
Desserts: they brought 4 desserts to try/share. The two pictured here are the 3-cheese cheesecake, topped with a lemon curd and sprinkled with blueberries. The bottom photo is a chocolate "free-form creme brulee" -- served over oranges. Both were superb. We also had an apple-rhubarb crisp (which was so delicious that it disappeared prior to picture-taking) and a pear-tart type of dish (also yummy enough to be gobbled down instantly). The desserts were served with a Sauterne (a sweet dessert wine). There were no morsels left over!
The owner was nice enough to chat with us quite a bit -- and (since he recognized us as return customers?) he also provided us with a very nice port to sip prior to our departure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment